THE WARNING SIGNS ON CONTAINERS OF LABORATORY CHEMICALS AND APPARATUS
Warning signs these are symbols which indicates a possible danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation.
Containers these are objects that can be used to hold or transport something such as chemicals.
The following are the warning signs on containers of laboratory chemicals and apparatus:-
Toxic; Toxic substances can cause death when swallowed, breathed in or absorbed through the skin. It includes acids and alkalis such as lead II acetate, potassium dichromate, etc.
Sign of toxic substance
Flammable; Flammable substances can catch fire easily, normally evaporate fast and therefore should not be brought near open flames. It includes petrol, alcohol, Thomas baker (Phosphorous yellow or phosphorous red), potassium metal, etc.
Sign of flammable substance
Corrosive; corrosive substances can attack and destroy living tissues and other materials such as floor, desks, metals, etc. it includes concentrated acids such as sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid and concentrated alkalis such as sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide.
Sign of corrosive substance
Oxidant; oxidants substances/chemicals can accelerates burning in which a small fires can be made big in the presence of oxidant agent. It includes potassium permanganate, potassium chlorate, zinc nitrate, etc.
Sign of oxidant substance
Explosive; explosive substance is a solid or liquid substance or mixture of substances which is in itself capable by chemical reaction of producing gas at such a temperature and pressure and at such speed as to cause damage to the surroundings. For example, mixture of hydrogen and oxygen.
Sign of explosive substance
Harmful; harmful substances have a long term effect so they don’t kill immediately. It includes dusts, alcohol, gases/fumes including cigarette smoke.
Sign of harmful substance
Irritant; irritant substance can cause pains on the skin or eyes. It includes lead chloride, lead nitrate, lime water ferrous sulphate and manganese IV oxide.
Sign of irritant substance