The sun is at the centre of the solar system. the sun is the star, a ball of hot and glowing gas. It does not have any solid par. All objects in our solar system depend on the sun. The sun is the only star in our solar system. It looks bigger than other stars, this is because it is closer than other stars. But in fact, the sun is very small compared to other giant stars.
The sun is made up of 75% of hydrogen, 23% of helium and 2% of other elements. The mass of the sun is about 330,000 times greater than the mass of the earth. The diameter of the sun is about 1.4 million kilometers. The surface temperature of the sun is around 6000 oC while at the centre of the sun temperature is about 14,000,000 oC. The surface of the sun is called photosphere. The sun is the main source of energy and light in planets. with ought the sun no light on the earth, no energy no life.
As we know that sun is a source of all energy and light on the planets. This sun's energy is what called solar energy. There fore, solar energy is energy produced from the sun. This energy is originated from the core of the sun where the nuclear reaction is done to produce heat and energy.
In our day to day activities, we need solar energy for various uses. For example:-
1. We use solar energy for drying our clothes after washing.
2. We need solar energy to dry our crops on the farm and after harvesting.
3. Plants need solar energy to produce their food by the process called photosynthesis.
4. We get vitamin D from solar energy. This vitamin is very essential for our bones
5. In our house, we use solar energy for cooking and for lighting our house. We use electricity made from solar energy by using a solar panel. A solar panel is an instrument used to convert solar energy into electrical energy.
6. Solar energy is very essential to the formation of rainfall.
7. We get heat to warm our bodies from solar energy.
HOW SOLAR ENERGY CONTRIBUTE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION
Solar energy is one of the most friendly sources of energy on the surface of the earth. This is because the use of solar energy promotes environmental conservation. For example:-
1. the use of solar energy replaced charcoal and firewood. As we know that charcoal and firewood are agents of air pollution.
2. Solar energy is clean as it does not produce soot when cooking using solar energy.
3. The plants use solar energy to make their food. In this process, plants use carbon dioxide and produce out oxygen during the day time. Through this process, plants help us to conserve the environment by removing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
HOW THE USE OF SOLAR ENERGY CONTRIBUTE TO THE WOMEN DEVELOPMENT
As we know that in developing countries the main fuel used at home is firewood or charcoal. And the main user of these energies is women. This is because they are cook for the family. Now let's look at how the use of solar energy may contribute to the development of women.
1. the use of solar energy for cooking may serve time that my used in other economic activities. Women are using a lot of time for fetching firewood in forests.
2. The use of solar energy may reduce dangerous that are facing women while fetching firewood in the forest.
3. The time that girls may use to fetch firewood may be used for reading. This may improve their academic development.
PROBLEMS CAUSED BY THE USE OF SOLAR ENERGY
The use of solar energy contributes to some of the problems, in our health and even in our economy. Now let's look at these effects
1. Solar energy may cause skin burns and cancer sometimes.
2. In bad weather condition, we cant use solar energy as we need.
3. Solar energy is expensive in some cases.
4. The availability of solar panel in not easy in villages.